Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2010 10:07:35 -0600
> Add that some "alternative" beekeepers (who knows what that means) have
> websites or have books that do not reflect the reality of their apiaries,
> but they are quoted as successful beekeepers with new approaches to
> beekeeping.

Thanks for pointing that out, Bill.  It is an extremely important point.

As one who has been on the Internet and before that, dial-up bulletin
boards, like Andy Nachaur's (long distance dial-up at 200 baud) and
CompuServe, and who has followed technology some of these individuals and
their stories from the start and before, albeit with lapses and inattention,
and as one who has maintained a public web diary since before blogging was
invented, that resonates strongly with me.

I'll ramble on here and try to illustrate the difficulty of observing
oneself and reporting back.  Some may not be interested, in which case, just
ignore the rest, please.

Let me first say that it is not just the "Alternative" folks, but I, myself,
have a very difficult time reflecting the reality of my apiary and will be
the first to admit it.  Don't believe what I tell you.  Use it for what it
is worth and think for yourself, is advice I try to repeat often.

I also often point out that what we see in research reports may resemble
only slightly what we would have thought we saw if we had been there
throughout.  I have chronicled my scale hive experience -- a very simple
'experiment' --and frankly what I see mystifies me, but if I wrote it up,
the report would probably be neat and believable because we write more about
what we understand or think we do than what we cannot get a handle on.

My first rule in writing a public web diary has been to never go back and
re-write what I posted after a month or more has lapsed.  That was
originally nothing more than laziness when faced with the impossibility of
going through it all.  I hardly have time to read it all without even
thinking of re-writing.  Some assure me that they have read every word.  I
have one word for that : Astounding!

I do sometimes add an insert and re-edit application details when a topic
becomes a repeat topic of current and continuing interest like oxalic and
formic application. In the recent instance, bringing the oxalic pages up to
date, I mostly added new, but left the old , going right back to 2002 and
the original presentation by Cor of his machine to the ABA meeting, a
presentation which was met by surprise, and considerable doubt -- and the
usual cries of "oxalic is dangerous".

On my site, I still have material about grease patties and menthol towels
and the Fairview College bee course (which the college at one time tried to
get me to remove since many people did not notice the course was cancelled
and tried to enroll :).  FWIW, there is serious talk about setting up such a
course again.  Anyone interested, please write.

I do re-write reasonably current material to add and further explain,
especially as people point out that some thing or another is CIPU -- Clear
If Previously Understood or I read it and realize that maybe I was a bit
indiscreet -- or I see that I made an error.  That is why some prefer the
hot poop and read as it is posted live, I guess.  They get to laugh at me or
with me.

At any rate, there are some web 'gurus' who have recreated their sites from
scratch several times and each website incarnation in no way resembles what
I recall from the previous site or have stored away on some old hard drive.
Others rationalize a lot of things in ways that soon take over their
thinking.

As has been the case from back when magazines were the main medium for
propagating ideas and before, many writers are something like about 50% to
95% on the money and credible, but it is that remaining 50 to 5% that we
have to watch.  Popularity is powerful drug and the temptation to achieve
notoriety can take over a person's reason.

It is a simple fact that it is harder to achieve notoriety by being
mainstream than by being off-beat.  It is a tradition for bee writers of the
pop sort to be quirky and invent new words (jargon), 'new' manipulations, or
convoluted explanations, rituals and shibboleths to distinguish and isolate
their followers from the masses.

That percentage of questionable content in almost any writer's work can be
harmless misunderstanding and oversight or a virulent evangelical ideology
or agenda, and that payload rides along and often passes through the
critical faculties of readers along with the obvious truth.

The problem is that people recognize the obvious truths and assume the rest
is probably true, too.  If it is all couched in a good story or analogy, the
hook often goes down with the bait.

In my experience, these Pied Pipers are usually quite innocent victims of
their own misunderstandings and beliefs and that makes them even more
convincing.  Most do not even realize that they are misreporting their
present and past.  Of course, we have all met bare-faced liars.  Then there
are the astounding people who will lie right to your face, like the mechanic
in PEI who told us the air filter was filthy and needed replacing, then when
forced to show to to us said, "See, I told you it is perfect and we don't
need to change it".  There are a few of those out there, too.

At one time, in the magazine days we had editors to do at least a little
filtering, but with the Internet, anyone can say anything anywhere (almost)
and critical reading and disbelief become even more important.  Just as
there viruses that go around perverting the functioning of cells in
organisms, there are thought viruses which go around perverting the thought
processes of people and societies.  They are invisible, infectious and
self-replicating.