From:
Ghislain De Roeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Nov 2015 08:54:16 +0100
With regard to our formerly thread: "Neonics and honey bee health".

Open access:
http://www.nature.com/articles/srep16224

Forager bees (Apis mellifera) highly express immune and detoxification genes
in tissues associated with nectar processing
Rachel L. Vannette1,2, Abbas Mohamed2 & Brian R. Johnson2

Pollinators, including honey bees, routinely encounter potentially harmful
microorganisms and
phytochemicals during foraging. However, the mechanisms by which honey bees
manage these
potential threats are poorly understood. In this study, we examine the
expression of antimicrobial,
immune and detoxification genes in Apis mellifera and compare between
forager and nurse bees
using tissue-specific RNA-seq and qPCR. Our analysis revealed extensive
tissue-specific expression
of antimicrobial, immune signaling, and detoxification genes. Variation in
gene expression between
worker stages was pronounced in the mandibular and hypopharyngeal gland
(HPG), where
foragers were enriched in transcripts that encode antimicrobial peptides
(AMPs) and immune
response. Additionally, forager HPGs and mandibular glands were enriched in
transcripts encoding
detoxification enzymes, including some associated with xenobiotic
metabolism. Using qPCR on
an independent dataset, we verified differential expression of three AMP and
three P450 genes
between foragers and nurses. High expression of AMP genes in
nectar-processing tissues suggests
that these peptides may contribute to antimicrobial properties of honey or
to honey bee defense
against environmentally-acquired microorganisms. Together, these results
suggest that worker role
and tissue-specific expression of AMPs, and immune and detoxification
enzymes may contribute to
defense against microorganisms and xenobiotic compounds acquired while
foraging.

Kind regards,

Ghislain De Roeck,
Belgium