From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 May 2009 17:26:47 -0400
>  Earlier you stated ‘the cause’ as a 1)
> ‘lack of fall flow‘.  And now you add an
> additional cause of another reason being that
> they were 2) ‘Russian bees‘,

Russian bees are very conservative, and shut down
when there is no flow. I would say that in most
years, Russians are good here, as they shut down
at the right time, and winter with small tight
clusters and smaller honey reserves. A total flow
failure isn't good for any bees.

South of Chittenden Co. (Burlington) in Vermont,
and a corresponding location on the New York
side, there was a poor Fall flow. Many good
beekeepers lost more colonies than normal.
Colonies didn't build strong clusters for wintering.
Mike