From:
Brian Ames <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 2009 09:33:37 -0500

"And some senior scientists now say the "disorder" does not exist as a separate illness.
Dr Dennis Anderson, principal research scientist on entomology with the Australian research
organisation CSIRO said the term could be distracting scientists from other work:
"It's misleading in the fact that the general public and beekeepers and now even
researchers are under the impression that we've got some mysterious disorder here in our
bees.
"And so researchers around the world are running round trying to find the cause of the
disorder - and there's absolutely no proof that there's a disorder there."
Previous declines
His view is shared by some experts in the US.
Conducting experiments at an isolated almond orchard in the Central valley area of
California, Frank Eischen, of the US Department of Agriculture, said it was "probably true"
that there was no new single disease.
"We've seen these kinds of symptoms before, during the seventies, during the nineties,
now," he added.
"It's probably not a unique event in beekeeping to have large numbers of colonies die."