From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 08:53:11 -0400
I wanted to emphasize two points that Allen Dick just made in reply to a
question concerning why bees would not work the Ross Round super and to also
provide a different opinion on when to super.

The two points:
1. The single most common mistake made by beginners is to try to produce
Ross Rounds (or any kind of comb honey) over two deeps.  In most cases, the
bees will proceed to fill the top deep with honey, forcing the brood down,
and by the time that is done the flow will be over!  The brood nest needs to
be restricted to one deep or, as I do, one deep and a medium.
2. The next most common mistake is to use a queen excluder.  90% or more of
the time the queen will not lay in a Ross Round super, and even when she
does it is usually limited to a few drone cells around the bottom edge of a
few sections.

Allen suggested starting to super when signs of comb building are evident.
I think this is a technique best left to those, like Allen, who are truly
expert.  Around here, the first flow of consequence starts on June 1 with
black locust.  I get my supers on (3 Ross Round supers to a hive) no later
than May 1, which is a long time before comb building starts!  This allows
for the very occasional good flow from dandelion, honeysuckle, wild cherry,
etc.  I think the extra room, even when not used, also retards the swarming
tendency.

Finally, Allen failed to mention the importance of using a new queen.
Several studies have confirmed that new queens are much less likely to swarm
than one that has overwintered.  As far as I know, all commercial producers
of comb honey rely on current year queens and hobbyists should also.  Now is
not too early to get in orders for April, 2001 queens!

Lloyd
Mailto: [log in to unmask]
Lloyd Spear Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
Visit our web site at http://www.rossrounds.com.