From:
Gene Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2019 04:20:24 -0600
a Peter Armitag snip followed by > my comment...
I note Vaugh Bryant's November 2018 article in BEE CULTURE wherein he states "Learning to analyze the pollen trapped in honey requires a broad understanding of botany and bee biology....Being able to analyze the pollen contents of honey samples requires a 'long learning curve!'

>Dr Vaughn Bryant is very ill and likely will not be with us much longer.  I only know the man casually but sell honey to his daughter who keeps me informed of his health. I certainly wish him the best but the doctors do not hold out much hope for his long term health.

>Currently we have a young fellow at the TAMU Bee Lab by the name of Pierre Lau who works with Vaughn Bryant lab. I personally minimized his efforts when he started out and then I learned along the way that basically you need to learn to identify pollen grains of 36000 plants. Pierre has been doing work in analysis of pollen from 4 urban sites in the US. Intellectually I have no doubt that Pierre is quite up to the task.  Beyond the microscope work the pollen also has to undergo some fairly straight forward chemistry to make the pollen grain identifiable under the microscope.

Gene in Central Texas....