From:
Dave Burrup <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 2010 13:44:50 -0700
You can be the most intelligent person in the world, on any given subject,
but unless you teach it to the next generation all that knowledge is gone
when they close the lid on you.  Many of the worlds greatest minds are the
worst teachers.  They are so stuck in their better than though world, and
refuse to come down to the beginners level, that they may as well not even
exist. It is frustrating to try and teach beginners in any subject.  Often
the beginner does not know how to ask the question in a manner that the
expert understands.  If they get an answer it is in terminology that would
take another expert in the field to understand.  I had a prof, that was in
my opinion the best teacher I was ever privilege to know, that considered it
his fault if a student did not understand a concept, because he did not
explain it right.  He has been retired for more than 30 years and dead for
almost 20 years, and still he influences new students in his field.
I have learned a lot on Bee-L as a lurker, but it is not the place where I
will ask questions.