From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 07:34:06 -0500
If one searches the list archives for soyflour one will find numerous
references, many stating that expeller processed soyflour is the product of
choice for bees.  But Allen Dick has one post in which he gives the
Honeymead company of Mankato, Minnesota as a supplier.  Their product
(Honeysoy) is I understand a hexane processed product.  The other big
company which produces soyflour is ADM (perhaps the biggest soybean
processing company in the world).  Their product (Nutrisoy) is also hexane
processed.  In speaking with the company yesterday the representative also
said that 95% of all the soybean meal (the last two years I have ground
soybean meal at a grist mill) in North America is hexane processed now.  I
also note that in the current Beemaid/Manitoba Honey Producers catalogue the
soyflour has a disclaimer in bold print (NOT EXPELLER PROCESSED).

So, is the need for expeller processed soyflour a beekeeping "urban myth"?
What problems if any have occurred in the past with hexane processed product?
The Nutrisoy manufacturer was willing to quantify what the amount of
residual hexane was, but I had no idea at what level it causes problems to
the bees. Is that level known?

I really hope this question generates some response on the list.  In the
past I have been very disappointed with the amount of information
forthcoming on the subject.  I know that Allen was following a soybean list
for awhile, and I know that Tom Sanford did work on pollen substitutes at
one time, and I know that Adony is doing work on nutrition now, so I expect
someone has some information on this.

Regards, Stan