From:
"D. Murrell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 11:10:35 -0400
Hi PB and Everyone,

I too, am hiveless right now. I moved to south Florida last June and bees
are an anathema in this hoa, condo culture. I've seen my first hive beetles
in another migratory beekeepers hives down here. Man, they can scurry fast.
I would like to try a few tests of my own in this more tropical environment.
But will have to find a suitable location. And that's not an easy task.

I confess that I missed your article. It sounds somewhat like the plan
Ericson and Hines worked with in the SW. I tend to skip most mite related
stuff. It's no an act of arrogance. Just a lack of need. I will lookup your
article.

I know that some beekeepers have found ways to run bees without treating at
all. Most found success by followed the Lusbys small cell approach. Fewer
have succeeded with large cell. Some have worked with bee genetics. And one
has found a kinder, gentler mite.

Could all these approaches provide a basis for a way to keep bees without
treating? For sure. And some other ways will probably come along as more
people work their bees rather than work to exterminate the mites.

Good luck on your plan. Any efforts to remove or reduce pesticide use
beekeeping is burdened with is a step in the right direction.

Who knows, it may fly better than anything before.

Regards
Dennis