Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 2014 17:06:48 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
> Perhaps, but one might wonder if BEE-L is the proper forum.

Well, it has drifted off topic, but my initial point was that in terms of what kills organisms -- humans, birds, bees -- I think the data will bear me out when I say, pesticides are pretty damn low on the list. That is, when compared with other causes such as contagious diseases, nutritional deficits, overcrowding, war and other stressors. 

If you look long term, we have always had these things, except the pesticides. And, there are more bees, more people, than ever and people are living longer. Whether bees are healthier than 100 years ago or not, think about the bees lost to foul brood, some times whole regions were wiped out. 

The Isle of Wight disease, too, wiped out vast numbers of honey bees. Prior to the 1800s, there simply aren't records of hive losses. People, on the other hand, died by the millions from plague, famine, etc. And to single out pesticides as the thing to lay awake at night sweating about, seems to be misdirected anguish. 

Let's resolve to be better beekeepers, stop looking for somebody to blame, and have a good time doing what we do. 

PLB

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2