From:
Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Apr 1997 11:29:01 -5
> Date:          Thu, 17 Apr 1997 21:00:02 -0700
> From:          Derk Phelps <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:       Corn Syrup - Define
> To:            [log in to unmask]

> Hi,
>
> Could anyone please give me the final say on corn syrup? How is it
> classified and what type is best for bee feed?  Diluting concentrate,
> using straight?  Whats best?
>
> We have been using granulated sugar syrup and now have access to some
> corn syrup.

         There are quite a few varieties of corn syrup, most are not useful
as bee feed. The type you want for feeding bees is high fructose corn
syrup (HFCS) sold as "HFCS 42", or "HFCS 55". The number indicates
the percentage of fructose, the remaining sugar is dextrose. Prices
quoted for HFCS are often for the dry weight, so be careful when
shopping. The 55% type is better for wintering bees because there is
less dextrose which the bees have trouble digesting. Another
advantage to the HFCS55 is that is is not as prone to granulation, a
problem with feeding in the north. We use HFCS 55 and always dilute
it with a little water, 15% for fall and 20% for spring. This
prevents granulation and wakes it easier to handle. Our main reason
to feed is to treat with fumidil. If you are feeding primarily to
increase colony weight you may want to dilute less. We have found
that even 10% (5 gal/BBL) will keep it liquid all winter. Undiluted
HFCS will granulate very fast in cold weather, even indoors.
        As others have mentioned, be sure that you buy syrup not produced by
the acid extraction method and stay clear of bargains or off spec.
syrup that may be contaminated and kill your bees.
Vince