Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 10:38:57 GMT+0200
Hi All

Just a note - observation hives are far more prone to the small hive
beetle as they don't thermoregulate so well and sometimes have to
withdraw away from pollen stores - and the beetles get in.

I have had some problems here (SA - different country, different bee)
with the hive beetles and my obs hives - if you are in an area with
hive beetle problems it would probably be adviseable to put the thing
into a nuc for winter - a beehive in a shop with hive beetles is
really bad advertising for bees - there is nothing more gross than
the smell of rotting pollen, brood and ugly little maggets dripping
out of the frames amid a helpless cluster of bees!

Keep well

Garth

Garth Cambray           Camdini Apiaries
15 Park Road
Grahamstown             Apis mellifera capensis
6139
South Africa

Time = Honey

The Universe is not here right now, if you would like
to leave a message, leave your name and number after
the long silence and it will get back to you as soon
as possible.