From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2007 01:06:00 EDT
Bob:  I'm not going to disagree with you about adversity causing  people to
be more proactive with respect to bee management.  Still, its a  hard way to
learn to be better beekeepers, if one has to suffer drastic losses  of bees in
order to do so.  That approach is what happens when you have to  guess as to
cause.

And yes, I agree, the disappearing disease of years ago, especially the
cases in the 1960s sound exactly the same as CCD, from symptoms of the  disorder,
to beekeeper reactions and postulating of causes, to  the inability of
scientists to find a cause.  It was also severe and  in many states.

And its that exact (not simply similar) set of symptoms that cause me  to
question whether we need to invoke anything new to explain CCD.  Maybe  we have
something new, but the simpler answer is that its something we've never
solved, just cycling through, but over a larger area and more severe than  usual.

So, if its NOT new, then remember -- presumably we didn't have either mite
in the 60s, no imidacloprid or other neonicotinics, and the scientists did not
find any evidence of high virus loads at that time.  Best that could be
thought up at the time was improved nutrition -- and the lesson from that, if  its
nutrition, we sure haven't made much progress in 40 years.  But no one  said
it was a mite/virus PMS issue in the 60s.

I also know that genetics were suspected at the time -- and I have been
talking to Bill Wilson about what happened back then, not just reading  papers.
It could still be a genetic issue.

I'm betting we've been missing something important all these years -- and I
hope that 40 years of advances in analytical technology - covering everything
from virus detection, to improved ways of examining chemicals, to protenomics
 and genomics may finally give us an answer -- and you can fault the  CCD
Working Group for not being able to move faster -- but you have to  realize that
many of these new approaches are waiting in the wings, waiting to  be applied
as soon as some funds become available.  Last that I checked, at  least 12
projects were on the list of those that needed to be funded in order to  complete
the first level screening of acquired samples.  The $100k approved  by the
NHB on March 23 will cover about 1/2 of these, the others will have to  wait
longer.  The CCD is looking for another $122k just to cover the  rudimentary work
that needs to be done to cover the most likely causes.

However, I think I've said all of the above before.  And I don't think  that
Bob and I are that far apart on most issues.

That said, some of today's statements just aren't true or can't  be
substantiated:  "All the CCD hives contained mites &  virus."  That's just not true.
Many had mites, but many did  not.

My team has looked at many CCD hives in several states and its not simply
mites out of control.  We've seen several operations where mites probably  were
a factor  And we've seen operations where you'd be hard pressed  to find any
mites, now, at the time of collapse, or even  months before.

For example, how do you explain a large operation that had so few mites in
the fall that a test of a new mite control agent couldn't be conducted as
planned, yet 70% of the bees collapsed in Jan/Feb - still with virtually no  mites
in any samples.  And this isn't an isolated case.  The last CCD  colonies
that I saw two weeks ago in CA had never been to the east  coast, had records to
prove that mite control was being practiced, and that  the effectiveness of
the mite treatments was assessed in Nov and Jan  by testing.  These were
colonies that collapsed in the midst of a  rapid growth phase with new stores of
nectar and pollen, lots of brood, and  still no mites, and no evidence of a mite
problem.

As per all CCD hives having virus,, to the best of my knowledge, the CCD
group only has the virus results from east coast samples from the fall and
mid-winter.  That's only a fraction of the samples taken to date.

Since the west coast samples were collected in Feb and March, to the best  of
my knowledge, the analysis for virus has not been completed - or the  results
are just coming in.  So, we just don't know whether ALL of the CCD  colonies
have virus.

Please keep in mind, the presence of common viruses at background  levels in
bees does not mean that these viruses caused the CCD.   However, I wouldn't be
surprised if a virus was found to be the cause,  given the symptoms, but it
hasn't been identified yet.

We also need to differentiate between seeing evidence of viruses in  bees,
and virus being a problem.  If someone were to do PCR work on  you, they'd
likely find some smallpox virus (I assume like most of our  generation you were
vaccinated), maybe cold sore virus, etc.  That doesn't  mean you are dying of
viruses.  And most tests won't tell you if the virus  is viable or not -- which
is why a vaccination for smallpox could produce a  detect.

And, as to allegations that Dave had mites out of control in July of  2006
and the allegation that the CCD Group ignored this, wouldn't even take  a peak.
The CCD Working Group was not even constituted until January  of 2007.

Its a little hard to ignore something that allegedly happened months before
the group was formed.  And no, I don't want a bottle with pickled  mites
supposedly taken in July -- we can't do any meaningful analysis on  this type of
sample.

And Dave was the first to admit to having problems with  mites in 2006, as
does the other beekeeper that you keep mentioning. In  fact, as I said earlier
today, many beekeepers admit to failures in management  that may have
contributed to the problem.  But Dave and the other  beekeeper that you keep bringing
up aren't the only beekeepers in the  U.S. with CCD problems.  I've 169 others,
and the list grows each  week.  I'm convinced that they didn't all have
uncontrolled mites.

You may contend that all of the bees are fine in CA and that  they came out
of the orchards in good shape.  Many did, but some did  not.  Listen to
Richard's testimony before the Congressional  Committee.  Talk to the beekeeper who
got back 4 loads of dead outs over  the last two weeks.  Ask the growers who
are threatening to sue for lost  crop productivity this year (not many,
thankfully, but some).  Ask the  beekeepers who struggled to replace failing colonies
in the almonds (either  their own or those of other beekeepers).  Tell me that
I didn't inspect and  sample colonies still collapsing in the almonds 2nd
week of March.   We're not done with this thing yet.

Jerry