From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2012 10:30:17 -0500
Donald said:
> A piece of a stainless steel scouring pad put in the lid of the smoker and
> held there with a stiff piece of wire stuck through two holes in the
> nozzle eliminates the problem of the pellets rolling out if the smoker
> falls over.

Thanks for the tip. I will rig up a smoker your way. My screen eventually
develops holes and is in the way at times. Cleaning the smoker needs done
often with pellets but as Donald says the pellets do burn all day and in our
smoker boxes ready at a minutes notice.

When we know we are going to need a smoker all day we use the pellets. For a
short observation we use burlap. We waste quite a bit of burlap as we use a
crumpled paper and get flaming. Slowly add the burlap till flame is seen.
Close the lid and pump.

A hobby beekeeper not in a hurry can use half the burlap we do but will take
longer. A stopper (wood etc) can conserve smoker fuel  but with smoker boxes
we rarely use.

bob