Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 2005 17:16:31 GMT
>>If the ivy grows up somthing, it will eventually produce
adult growth in the form of branches sticking out from the plant with
unlobed leaves. It is this adult growth which produces flowers.

I observed these branches with unlobed leaves on ivy covered pines at the Biltmore estate (www.biltmore.com) in North Carolina.  I took a step back at first because they resembled poison ivy leaves so much.

>>Unfortunately, that adult growth typically takes 15-20 years to form...

Really?  Bomber!  I checked out the ivy on the stone walls at Biltmore as well.  It had flowers as well although I did not see the long branches with unlobed leaves.  Could ivy produce flowers sooner in optimum conditions?

>>Second, is that those flowers become berries, which birds eat and spread the seeds far and wide.  In that sense, there is no containing ivy.

I know.  Then, again, many other plants spread by seeds... maples, oaks, poison ivy...  Anyone know of any 'nice' honey vine? ;-))  I am willing to plant ivy as long as it is legal and I believe it is in New York.

>>It is an entomological zoo when in bloom and the berries are a great favorite of the robins on their migration north in late winter.

So it has more benefits.  I've seen birds' nests in ivy on walls.  And birds often use ivy on vertical structures for shelter from the winter cold.

I have placed 2 ivy cuttings in pots.  I expect them to root well (the cuttings had baby roots) and will plant them at the base of a tree that is not desirable but has a strong horizontal branch that serves well as a support for a swing...

>>Good luck finding that perfect bee vine,

I'll take suggestions... :)  In the meantime, I am learning a lot about plants.

Again, I'd like to thank everyone for their input!

Waldemar