From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 07:41:58 -0500
This message was originally submitted  by [log in to unmask] to the
BEE-L list  at LISTSERV.ALBANY.EDU.  It was edited to remove quotes of
previously posted material.

----------------- Original message (ID=5063EE56) (110 lines) -------------
From: "Marcelo Ordonez H" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology"
Subject: RE: tobacco smoke
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 01:45:54 -0400

        If you are looking for miticides plants or gasses, try with the use
of
medicinal aromatic herbs.  I constantly use in the smoker eucaliptus green
leaves, bark and/or fruits, green leaves and bellboys in flower of rosemary
(rosmarinus), branches in flower of thyme (Timus vulgaris) and others that
I can obtain of my own garden or of my friends. Not to always use the same
herb, but rather to use them in alternate form.

        The use of these plants is related with the miicides properties
acaricidas
of its medicinal compounds that are liberated in the smoke being able to
reach the acari when burning them in the smoker, being able to at least to
knoc out the mites.

        Of course that the objective is to use the essential oil of each
aromatic
plant for the miticide control, but when it doesn't have the purified
extract, the smoke taken place by the combustion of these aromatic grasses
turns out to be less dangerous for the bees and but pleasant for the
beekeeper's nose, at the same time that it contributes to control the
population of acari in combination with the traditional mite contol
program.

        Some plants extracts information at the follows URL:
<http://www.wvu/~agexten/ipm/insects/pollinat/varroa/iols.htm>
<http://www.wvu/~agexten/ipm/insects/pollinat/honeybee/index.htm>

Marcelo Ordoņez