From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 May 2005 14:00:22 -0500
>But Sonny Optimist said, "There you go trying to scare people
again. In ten years you'll have to admit you were wrong.

Maybe one of our Canada BEE-L beekeepers will post the doom & gloomers which
said the import of Australian bees into Canada tewnty years ago would cause
the ruin of Canadian beekeeping.
We can all have a big laugh at their expense. Sonny Optimist was right then!

>And even if you are right, this is the way modern agriculture works.Bigger
is always better and everyone should have the same pest/disease profile.

Smaller won't get almond or the U.S. pollination done.

>End of story.

I enjoyed the story very much! I think I might make sonny optimist and gloom
& doom a regular part of my posts.

>And the moral of the story is: Sonny Optimist has very few peers when it
comes to talking bees and beekeeping but sometimes he is a little too
optimistic.

Kind of you to say Ted! You have got to be optimistic in today's beekeeping
world! I see solutions in places others see only a unsolvable problem.

 I have had many of the best minds of beekeeping whisper to me

"varroa will win in the end".

Those which poo poo the current virus issue going on had better take another
look.

The worlds best beekeeping minds say if all you have got is a 70% varroa
control then you will have to live with PMS and the problems associated with
virus spores. Gloom & doom say today's problems are only the tip of the
iceburg.

I say to Gloom & Doom the Russian and varroa tolerant bee does not have
virus issues like the non varroa tolerant bee. No PMS signs. Their reply is
that  can't be.  Researchers can not explain the fact but is true!

Many said a varroa tolerant bee would never happen as the trait was not
inheritable. They have now been proven wrong and Dr. Harbo vindicated.

Dr. Warwick Kerr( worlds foremost bee geneticist years ago)  said he had
isolated the genes which made AHB aggressive in 1967 (even named the genes)
and could breed a bee with all the good traits of AHB without the bad. At
the USDA in 1967 Dr. Gloom & Doom stopped the work. Sure wish  we had Dr.
Kerr's modified AHB bee now. Totally varroa tolerant & a high yield honey
producer.  O yes the modern Dr. Gloom & Doom says Kerr would never have been
successful and whispers in my ear. "I don't want to to research on those
AHB"

I am still learning about honey bees! Hope I always will. Actually today's
beekeeping is more interesting than years ago when the only problem was
foulbrood.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

" what we don't know is so vast it makes what we do know seem absurd"