From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 2008 23:44:54 -0700
Re the response to Dr Fischer from Bayer, Bill Truesdell wrote:

> And if I got the kind of response he got, I would make sure I told others
> in the industry and research community to stay off this list.

Thanks for that, Bill!  I lament the fact that most researchers and
commercial beekeepers stay off the list for the reasons that you stated.

Dr. Fischer offered us an incredible opportunity--an open door to Bayer!
The very door that others have been proclaiming is locked.

You may wish to demonize a multinational corporate conglomerate, but Dr.
Fischer is an actual human being who took the time to write a very polite
and clear summary of the scientific information available regarding the
neonics. I have subsequently spoken with him at length, and find him to be a
pleasant, knowledgeable scientist who actually cares about the effects of
pesticides upon bees.

Clearly, bees are dying in sunflowers in France.  However, when scientists
look closely for the reason, it is not clear at all that neonics are the
cause.

If Dr Fischer has the patience, perhaps we could politely  ask him very
concise, specific questions that he might be in a position to answer, such
as Stan's.  We have everything to gain by engaging him in thoughtful dialog,
and nothing to lose.

Randy Oliver