From:
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2018 12:17:00 -0400
PLB> honestly, I find it refreshing that researchers are finding this type of genetic alteration of honey bees not that easy to do.

There may be other issues with CRISPR Cas9.

From an article in TheScientist:

>Our results show that inhibiting DNA damage signaling can improve the efficiency of precision genome editing in normal, untransformed cells.
CRISPR doesn’t work very well in human cells whose DNA-damage response is working normally. Instead, the genome-editing method selects for cells with a faulty response—one tied to cancer, according to two studies published today (June 11) in Nature Medicine.

>“It’s something we need to pay attention to, especially as CRISPR expands to more diseases,” Sam Kulkarni, the CEO of CRISPR Therapeutics, which was not involved with either study, tells STAT News. “We need to do the work and make sure edited cells returned to patients don’t become cancerous.”

>In one study, researchers found that the inhibition of p53, which organizes a DNA damage response, made CRISPR more efficient in a human cell line. “However, inhibition of p53 leaves the cell transiently vulnerable to the introduction of chromosomal rearrangements and other tumorigenic mutations,” they write in their report. This means that the cells in which CRISPR worked may have a compromised p53 pathway, which would in turn make them vulnerable to becoming cancerous.

>CRISPR–Cas9 genome editing induces a p53-mediated DNA damage responseEmma Haapaniemi1,2,4, Sandeep Botla1,4, Jenna Persson1, Bernhard Schmierer1,5* and Jussi Taipale1,2,3,5*

https://tinyurl.com/y9vr2y49

Bill Hesbach
Cheshire CT