From:
Medhat Nasr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:29:26 -0600
Trevor and others interested to know single reps vs 4 reps.

I am assuming that you only did it the once and got the same results as
doing the larger circle twice.

Nope we did it more than once with the smaller size. Therefore, we were
able to show that the smaller size was more consistent. We did lots of
work to standardize the test. We asked many questions: How long to clean
up 50% of the cells, daily removal of killed cells rate, time of the year,
etc. We did not know honey flow will make a difference. We did our test
and all colonies showed close to 100%. This was to good to believe. Then
we tried at different times and we found the honey flow will give you
false positive results.

I recall that I discussed this issue with other scientists at meetings.
Then, the recommendation was to add more liquid Nitrogen to make sure all
pupae killed, Repeat the testing with large circles 2 times to get more
consistent results, and stay away from the honey flow. I consulted Jerry
and others about our findings. It was interesting that Jerry had the same
observations. In our case, we needed to do the test on a large scale with
over 20 beekeepers.Please review Jerry's comments.

The whole issue here is that we needed accurate results, reduce
experimental errors, efficient time.

> In our program, we needed to improve the system to do the job in one day
> and have more accurate results without the need to go back to the field
> run another test.

Did you do any where you went back a second time with the 4 replicates and

got different results?

There was no significant differences between the two reading if they were
done back to back. Good colonies stayed good. When the results produced
from two different tests for all colonies ranked, the ranks were
significantly correlated.

As I read what you wrote, the bees cleaned out the smaller circles in the
24
hours but took 48 to get the same results in the larger circle?  Is this
correct?
I was looking to reduce our time that is spent in each location. Simply, I
was looking for more accurate results, less counting and don't have to
wait 48 h to do last count.  We used to drive a van and scheduled our work
for full day applying the liquid nitrogen. Next day, we go back and do our
readings. Then, we move to a new location.  This was more efficient way to
use our time. When you have 20  beekeepers across the province to do
testing for them, it takes a lots of time and organization.

medhat