From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Dec 2013 09:40:06 -0500
Cross posted from another list:

I have one hive and was excited last weekend to see a few buzzing with the
warm spell. However I also noticed small flies of varying size at the
entrance. Most looked like fruit flies, one or two looked like small house
flies. I've scared myself with the internet and hope they aren't scuttle
fly...apocephalus borealis. I saw a few flies during the fall, but assumed
the hive front was a warm place to land. I didn't think they'd taken up
residence.

Based on the very few articles I could find linked to honeybees, it looks
like a recent transition from infestation of bumble bees (which my field
has tons of) to European honeybees. Pictures I could find on bees look very
much like the size and color of what I saw. I also saw a few bees crawling
away from the hive on that warm day. That could be the normal end of their
life though.

Any thoughts?

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!