From:
Jane Beckman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 1994 13:59:38 PDT
The report from the SF Bay Area here in California---

I was wondering what was going on, this year, as well.  I have had almost
a 75% drop in Hymenoptera activity in my garden.  I have lots of herb plants,
and you can almost always find hymenoptera working the borage and Labiatae,
but this year about the only thing that I've seen is leaf-cutter bees and
honeybees from my own hive.  I have seen so few of the smaller solitaries
that I've found it worrisome.  The carpenter bees are very scarse, and counting
a couple bumblebee queens early in the season, I've seen maybe six
bumblebees, total.

I also almost always get some ground-nesting solitary wasps, but have
seen none of these, either.  There even seem to be fewer yellowjackets.

The pollination on my garden has definitely been down, even with the help
of my own hive.  My cukes are sparse, and I've gotten no melons or squash.
I've started hand-pollinating the squash.

So what is going on?  I don't think mites are taking out *everything.*  Is
this "Silent Spring," finally come to roost, or what?  I, too, would be
interested in reports from around the country.

Jane B.  [[log in to unmask]]