From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 11:16:03 -0500
Dee wrote: "it has been documented that a certain percentage of the
laying workers eggs will be viable for production of virgin queens..."

Let me be the first to ask, "Where is this documented?  Is it a
significant percentage or negligible?"  I'll grant the benefit of the
doubt that is does happen (never say never), but I don't know that I
would throw out such a tidbit to a query from a newbie who wants to know
"how worker bees can develop their ovaries and become queens", without
making clear how rare is a viable laying worked.  And in the cases when
a laying worker DOES produce a viable queen, the laying worker is
supersceded by her daughter.  The laying worker is never (didn't I write
never say never) accepted by the colony as would be a true queen.  For
all intents and purposes, Ruary's response is more on the mark that the
rare occasion to which Dee refers.  Exactly HOW rare is a viable laying
worker I cannot say.  Perhaps this figure is containted where "it has
been documented".  My understanding (which may be flawed) is that it is
such a rare occurrence it hardly warrants mention.

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!