From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2010 19:50:04 -0500
years ago when we put honey into the honey loan program moisture was an
issue. Each year the USDA rep only took samples from the top of the drum.
These always matched my testing. If over 18.6% the honey was rejected.

I only had one load rejected. The rep showed up with a homemade tool which
reached down to the bottom of the drum for the sample. He phoned back some
drums were rejected as the moisture was 18.8 to 18.9. I retested and the top
was 18.3 to 18.6.

I waited a couple weeks and called another county I keep bees in for a loan.
A different rep came out and took samples from the top and said the moisture
was fine
18.5 and the loan went through.

In Missouri you can apply for a loan in a county the honey was produced in.
I keep bees mostly in Lafayette, Jackson and Johnson counties in Missouri as
far as the USDA knows but I go where the flow is if needed.

I store honey for my own use next spring many times with moisture over 19%
because after heating and letting cool the moisture drops a full percent.

bob