Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 22:09:34 EDT
In a message dated 5/11/99 7:55:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> When referring to a cure for robbing Dave said, "Plug the hive up tight, or
>  put it into a place not accessible by bees. After a few days, the robbers
>  will forget about it."

    Robbers are usually bees near the end of their lives. The majority of
them will likely die off in a week or so.   There may be a community memory
however. I have often noted how frequently bees will be robbing out boxes,
and a couple weeks later scouting swarm homes. Then again, maybe the odor is
fresher.

>  Personally dubious whether they "will forget about it". My own method would
>  be to removed the majority of the comb and stores, leaving just one frame
>  containing little honey. Leave them to complete their dastardly deed and
>  hopefully they will retire satisfied (and then forget about it).

   I haven't tried this, though I suppose it could work. My own idea is to
stop robbing ASAP, because I generally see no good come of it. Robbing bees
can be quite nasty, leading to someone in the neighborhood getting stung;
they can also spread pathogens.

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html
The Pollination Home Page:    http://www.pollinator.com

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm