Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 17:55:34 EDT
As Tim wrote, this is a symptom of Deformed Wing Virus, which was probably
endemic at very low levels and therefore unnoticed before varroa.  I know,
offhand, of only 2 of the many viruses that can be identified accurately outside a
laboratory: the other is sac brood, which the Regional Bee Inspector pointed
out in a couple of my hives this evening.

Generally, if levels of DWV rise enough for the beekeeper to notice, he has a
serious varroa problem and should have treated before this.

Readers from the UK should look at the Central Science Laboratory web site.
Dr Ruth Spinks is studying the incidence of viruses and is inviting UK
beekeepers to submit a sample for testing.  If, via the web site link, you let her
have your details she will send you a container of alcohol into which you drop
about 20 bees, preferably from a varroa infested hive.  Send it back to her with
details of location etc.  Tell her whether or not you want the results,

Don't expect an overnight response.  The Tacman machine to which she has
access was devised and built for playing with plant viruses and it really needs
several thousand samples to make it worth stoking the boilers and raising steam.
 This then encourages the genie in the machine to whizz through the samples
in a split second and enunciate in sonorous tones the names and family of the
various viruses.  I could simplify this a little if it seems too complicated.

When I sent in my sample, in a fit of whimsy, I included a marked queen
(already dead) as a wind up. However, I since learn that Ruth isn't a beekeeper and
probably won't recognise a queen so I was wasting my time.

Chris