From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2006 19:27:53 +0100
I think that quite a few threads on here recently are forgetting a
simple principle, that a simple explanation usually fits best and is
usually, granted not without exception, the one that turns out to be the
factual one.

I get drone brood sporadically above the excluders in at least a third
of all colonies in spring and early summer. (The time they are most
likely to be wanting to raise drones) We NEVER get this pattern later in
the season when the drone raising urge is less or absent (exit the
laying workers or virgins explanantion)

Usually it is the drone patches from previous extracting damage repaired
by the bees that get it, but have seen, like Trevor describes, drone in
worker cells too, all up above the excluder with no other evidence that
the queen has ever been there.

I believe that most, if not all, these eggs originate from the
queen.........and find the questions about OK, why are they drone then,
to be odd.

I have seen with my own eyes, on MANY occasions, bees carrying away
eggs. Never actually seen them being deposited in cells by the workers,
but they must take them somewhere. The secret is that these are NOT eggs
already laid in cells whereby the queen will already, by gauging the
cell, have eiher issued a fertilised or unfertilised egg. These eggs are
taken directly from the queens abdomen, and never were in a cell, so the
likelihood is that without cell guaging, it is unlikely that the egg
will have been fertilised, and the results are almost universally drone,
irrespective of what type of cell the bees deposit it in.

So, as far as I see it, at least in our own operation, there is a very
simple explanation and the trait is unimportant.
--
Murray McGregor