From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 10:15:42 -0400
Mike asks about how to eat pollen as "it is the nastiest stuff I have ever
tasted".

Pollen that is bitter, and goes crunch when you eat it (some say it tastes
like wheat cheks) has been improperly processed!

In its natural state as brought to the hives by bees, pollen is quite sweet
and tasty.  Some part of that is because bees mix it with nectar so it can
be compacted and will stay put in their pollen baskets.

Because pollen has just about every vitamin  known and is full of protein,
it is very susceptible to attack by mold, fungus and even bacteria.  Thus,
it must be frozen to kill some, and some of the natural moisture removed to
make it less attractive.  Unfortunately, in their greed, most mass
processors of pollen remove so much moisture (read..."nectar"...) that  the
pollen becomes bitter and crunchy!  However, they then have 1-2 year shelf
life at room temperature.  In fact, I have never found pollen in a health
food store that was properly processed!

Most pollen in the US that is on store shelves is from China, where they
over-dry it so it can be transported long distances and have a long shelf
life.  Buy your pollen from a local collector, and you will almost certainly
get pollen that is sweet, moist, and properly processed.  (and also pay
considerably less than health food stores charge.)  If you have trouble
finding local pollen, contact me and I can probably help.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, manufacturer of comb honey equipment
for beekeepers and Sundance pollen traps.
http://www.rossrounds.com