From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Aug 2011 15:57:39 -0500
> Bob H mentions placing pollen sub on all hives in the holding yard. Since
> assume you dont visit these yards weekly for another lb of sub, how much
> per
> hive is added to sustain the expected three brood cycles as mentioned.

I add as needed. Since we make ourselves the patties can vary in weight but
at least a pound.
I use a 1 1/2  inch spacer . I am also feeding a light 42 HFCS mixture to
simulate a nectar flow.
I am NOT feeding for winter. I will feed sucrose later for the bees to
winter on *if needed*.

One gallon every two weeks will maintain a full size hive at he level the
bees were at at the end of our major honey flow but too expensive today for
me so I would guess a gallon supplement plus a patty
for each brood cycle would guarantee three cycles of winter bees.

However:

If I could sit the bees on a fall flow I could eliminate the need for
supplement. Fuel costs are up and my big truck has a motor problem ( rod? as
I blew an engine oil line on a steep grade loaded and pumped 4 and a half
quarts of oil out). The remanufactured motor will be in the end of next
week.) so I have mostly forgot about moving hives around.

I am very fortunate to have made many close friends in the bee business and
another commercial beekeeper has been pulling my supers(with his truck, crew
and swinger)   and bringing in (not free of charge!) which is  keeping me
from falling too far behind. The beekeepers know I would do the same for
their operation if the need should arise.

If you are checking weekly Doug it should be easy for you to make a
decision.
Next check pick a percent of your hives and pull brood in each and see the
amount of stored pollen. Look for all stages of queen production.(especially
eggs and larva)

My solution was to create a flow to get the first cycle of winter bees. The
days getting shorter is the trigger for winter bees being raised. Do not be
fooled by huge numbers of summer bees *if* you winter in the upper Midwest
(not sure about how hard your winters are Doug?) as those will be gone after
we get into cold weather.

cruel but makes business sense:
If huge numbers of old honey flow bees many commercial beekeepers move their
hives when the bees are flying to reduce the numbers and save on feed and
also encourages the queen to try and replace those bees.

I do not take the decision to feed lightly as one gallon plus a patty (with
labor) equals around five bucks a hive!

If you want Doug report what you see on the list each week and I will try
and advise . If you would rather ask off list that's ok also but at times it
takes a few days for my reply as I am behind in bee work with serious health
issues and putting in some long hours but will reply.

Randy O. I will answer your recent email as soon as possible.

> FYI I dont have issues with SHB's "yet"...

Good to know as SHB and patties can be problems.

bob