From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 2010 16:02:17 -0400
> I've been a BEE-L lurker for over a decade now. I thought it time to give a little back. Now working on my 11th season as a beekeeper.

Thanks very much for your clear answer. I have been trying to get feedback on ApiLife Var for quite a while now. In fact, I just talked today to my friend Dr. Tom Seeley, who was the one who got me interested in it. The problem we have in this area is the main honey flow is toward the end of August till the end of September. This is when the mite loads really start to pick up and by the time you get the supers off its TOO LATE to treat. Not only is the weather too cool but by then the damage is often severe and they can't recover. Tom told me he has taken to treating for mites in early August before the last flow. He said he has had pretty good luck controlling mites with ApiLife Var, used this way. Many of us here in NYS were really hoping to get a hold of the new formic strips to use in August, but the bureaucrats seemed to have killed that hope.

plb