Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 15:51:13 GMT+0200
Greetings All esp Ellroy

I would like to add a few points to the debate.

Firstly Jerry mentioned that it is unusual to find people working on
their own in the scientific community, and that it is almost
impossible to work without the a large research group to help out.

I can dissagree with this - as I am sure do many from eastern  europe
and other countries where funding is a valuable commodity. I know
many scientists who have but one personal assistant and they produce
many internationally published papers per year. This is how science
should be, because if much of the worlds scientific spending power
were spent this way, we would be far further than we are now. Hard
work and enthusiasm are lost when one becomes beurocratised.

Secondly, on the possibility of FGMO being shot down by Apistans
makers, I would like to dissagree with that. Recently I had a private
e-mail conversation with one of the manufacturers who mentioned that
they needed many more tools to treat the mites so as to keep apistan
viable. (IE rotate treatments) In this sense it is an advantage for
the Apistan trademark holders to keep FGMO used as it prolongs the
marketable life of APistan and hence the chances of recouping R and D
costs. And given that many people will make a tax up with FGMO and
also with Apistan, it is good to have both available.

Just my two cents.

Keep well

Garth
---
Garth Cambray       Camdini Apiaries
15 Park Road        Apis melifera capensis
Grahamstown         800mm annual precipitation
6139
Eastern Cape
South Africa               Phone 27-0461-311663

On holiday for a few months     Rhodes University
Which means: working with bees 15 hours a day!
Interests: Fliis and bees
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post in no way
reflect those of Rhodes University.