From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2007 18:42:30 -0500
Brian Fredrickson writes
“seems silly to me to even debate if moving bees spreads problems:

     I don’t recall anyone saying that moving bees does not result in
spreading of problems.    At issue here is whether shutting down the
movement of bees solves more problems than it creates, given all the
factors to be considered, including how to enforce it, who benefits and who
is harmed by it, and how effective it would be at solving the problems.
     In order to arrive at a decision as a society, the case for halting
what is now a very integral part of a very firmly entrenched agricultural
system will have to be a much stronger one than I have heard anyone on this
list make yet.  At least that is my impression of the current reality and I
could be wrong.  I do not think what some consider just plain common sense
will be enough to counter the argument against disrupting the system as it
currently exists.  It will have to be shown that keeping bees stationary
can result in a significant fulfillment of the nations pollination needs.
If the economics of this possible shift in our way of doing things can be
shown to work for more people than it doesn’t, then things will gradually
move in the direction Brian and others would like to see, even if the heavy
hand of politics doesn’t come into it.  And it is always better if the
politicians can be kept out of it.  That path can be so inefficient.

Steve Noble