From:
"Lackey, Raymond" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 08:52:35 -0500
Allen Dick had quite a list.  Let me say that it is all possible.  In fact,
It is pretty much as written in my notebook in 1972.  The problem is
convincing a few large operations that it would be worth $100/hive to
maximize the efficiency of a $200 hive.  Weighing the hive is a problem.  I
can get load cells where the computer could count the number of bees that
took off by the change of weight of individual bees but they don't like to
have 200 pound hives setting on them.  A single load cell under a hive with
a weight transferal mechanism used in scales requires leveling, unreasonable
for the distribution of hives.  You thus wind up with four load cells, each
corner of the hive, too expensive today.  We are seeing new load sensors
coming out of micro machining (the same process that gives us low cost
electronics) that may drop the cost.  I think beekeeping will enjoy a
significant benefit from the information revolution.  computers are in
everything and will get into our hives.  Our knowledge is only as good as
the information gathered.  It was pointed out that the study of swarming
requires a lot of serendipity, being in the right place at the right time,
during a very small time window of the year.  If data from a few thousand
hives could be gathered automatically, Jerry and his cohorts would have more
data than they could shake hypotheses at, and then check out!

Raymond J. Lackey                           Sweet Pines Apiary
email home: [log in to unmask]