From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 1997 08:21:17 -0400
Curtis L. Spacek wrote:
> My question is do bees eat
> healthy brood as a population control action or do I probably have a
> case of foulbrood on my hands.in any case am I on the right track?

No, bees will never eat brood, although I understand that they may eat
eggs at times.  If in fact the brood was eaten, it must have been ants.
It would not have been foulbrood, because the brood in that case would
have been brown, semiliquified and often unrecognizable as brood if the
cell were to be cleaned out.

Often chilled brood is cleaned out, or brood which cannot be fed because
of a sudden end to a good nectar flow.  The brood may have merely been
pulled apart by the bees in order to get it out of the cell.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA