Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jul 2008 17:01:46 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
All the info concerning what's sprayed on corn or coated on the seeds does not mean jack if the 
bees don't visit corn. 

Via a SARE grant I had a university grad student analyze pollen samples from pollen traps for a 
whole summer here in central MN from 4 different bee yards 3 of them surrounded by corn. 

The data showed hardly any corn pollen. 

Up here in the Heartland of American honey production, the sweet clover is in major bloom while 
the corn is tasseling. In good seasons we can produce 5 supers of honey on average hives over a 
period from the end of June into early Sept, meaning we have a wealth of nectar and pollen 
sources, so our bees could presumably could care less about corn. 

Perhaps in the more southern range of USA corn growing areas this situation is different. 

Frankly the CCD mystery was never an issue here and continues locally to be nothing more then a 
media story. Stationary beeks around here had more issues over wintering with concern over 
nosema.  Collapsed hives are things we hear about in the news and happen to our migratory 
beeks when they are out of state and the occasional novice who has CCD me Too Disease that the 
media interviews. 

My point is we have no crisis or mystery up here here in the MIDDLE OF CORN COUNTRY so this 
whole speculation about Neonictinoids, corn  and people losing bees has nothing to do with reality 
IMO.  

* General Information About BEE-L is available at: *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/default.htm   *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2