From:
Joe Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 18:05:27 -0400
I had an interesting call the other day to retrieve some old bee equipment
from a house that was to be razed.  Some of it had some mash with dead
rats, the still was gone.  Anyway, I am left with a couple questions that
I hope some of you might help me with.
 1.  Included in my haul were a Grand Rapids Michigan USA Woodman Bee
Supply 4 frame extractor with belts to connect to a motor.  I am trying to
pull the extractor basket out to clean the tank and after undoing the
bolts that I see, I can't lift the thing out.  Is anyone familiar with
extractors well enough to suggest other things to try?  The extractors
that I have seen have sat in a hole or on a projection and secured at the
top of the basket.
2.  I have what appears to be a 45 frame extractor.  There are 5 segments
that would let 9 frames sit in.  I can't find any company names but there
are what could be serial numbers on the top of the basket.  I will need to
buy a motor, clutch, brake, etc.. to get this thing working and would like
to know who made this in the hopes that they are still in business and
could provide product support.  Any suggestions?
3.  As I clean these items, I am interested in making them nice to look
at, and safe to hold honey in.  Any suggestion on what to clean them with
( to make me feel like rat flavor is not in my honey) and then to paint or
coat the insides with?  And can such products tolerate much heat?
4.  If anyone is curious about such items to see or purchase, I ahve no
emotional attachment to them and could part with them for trade or
similarly functioning item.  Old smoker and "Root Honey Tank" (about 30-50
gallons) also.
Thank you for your assistance.  Joe  [log in to unmask]  Greenville, NC