From:
Douglas Keeth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2013 12:35:05 -0400
A friend owns a farm a few miles north of I-70 in central Missouri.  Several acres of that farm include steep ground with big old trees. Those hollows have been in Missouri’s Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) for many years.  There is a stiff financial penalty for clearing and planting on that ground before the CRP contract period is completed.

The fellow who rents and plants corn and soybeans on the larger portion of my friend’s property offered to pay the state CRP penalty, and clear the land, if my friend would only rent him the land for cropping.

I conclude that this renting farmer would require a big price to set aside land for bee habitat.

--

How many acres would convert to bee habitat if we had a ban on riding lawn mowers?

doug