From:
Kim Flottum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2013 16:21:09 +0000
What am I missing here? Is the amount of chemical in a pound of canola nectar the same amount of chemical in a pound of sunflower nectar, and is the amount of chemical in a consumed-by-bees pound of corn pollen the same as a pound of consumed-by-bees canola pollen, or soybeans, or any crop...are apples to apples being compared? I suspect the amount of chemical on a canola seed when planted is less than the amount of chemical on a corn seed when planted, but the resulting plants are significantly different in size, so does this matter? Are the chemicals applied to these vastly different seeds identical in strength, so less chemical applied would mean less chemical moving into the plant? Who has looked? Who has data?

Kim Flottum

Editor, Bee Culture Magazine