From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2007 10:40:53 -0400
Dave Cushman wrote:

> What makes you think that the chemical then degrades in contact with
> water ?

http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/fluvalin.htm

We have been through this in the past. It is in the archives. I like to
know the half life of anything I use, and I did use Apistan way back
when. It also discusses its solubility. Fluvalinatee is fairly benign,
and is part of a class of chemicals one or two of which are approved for
use by organic farmers.

Just for the record and those who are new here and think I have a
pipeline from Dow chemical pouring stuff into my colonies, I am about as
organic a farmer as you can be, except I do not condemn those who are
not. I farm for our own household use and give surplus to friends. I do
not spray my apples and inform those who pick them (free) that they
might encounter some protein. I have trialled seeds for a "natural" seed
seller and was accepted to do so because of my "organic" practices.

I cannot be an organic beekeeper in the US but it is nice to know that I
meet most all the criteria for Finland.

I have had many discussions with those in the organic movement who
recognize that there are limits to organic practices and some just do
not work. I appreciate that realistic assessment of the movement.

I get very peeved with those who bandy about terms like "chemical" with
little clarification of just what that means. And those who define what
organic is, which usually is what they practice and therefor you are not
as pure. I have found that the larger the organic operation the more
realistic their practices and allowance for methods used on the
non-organic side, otherwise they would go broke. I have found that the
smaller the operation, especially hobby organic practitioners, the more
it becomes faith and the less it is science. Lots of "nuts among the
berries" , which is the title of a great book from long ago. It is still
around.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Nuts-Among-Berries/dp/091595009X

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine