From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 08:40:29 EST
In a message dated 1/24/99 7:43:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Can any one help?  I have been told that if one were to sit quietly
>  facing the entrance of a colony, before opening or smoking it, one
>  should be able to draw at least six conclusions about the condition of
>  that colony.  What might these six be???  I would really appreciate an
>  answer.

Hmmmmmmm lessee.......

1.  The quantity of flight (in comparison to other hives) would give a rough
gauge of the strength of the hive.

2.  Bees landing heavily (will full bellies) indicates a nectar flow.

3.  Paucity of flight (in all hives) might indicate a lack of nectar filled
flowers.

4.  If bees are fighting or chasing bees around on the bottom board, robbing
may be going on.

5.  A good quantity of pollen coming in, is evidence of queenrightness and
presence of brood.

6.  The color and size of the pellets of incoming pollen are good clues as to
its source (pollen varies greatly in nutritional value, so knowing the main
pollens will tell you somewhat about the future condition of the colony).

7.  Clean looking bees, indicates general hive health and youthfulness of
workers.

8.  Shiny, greasy-looking workers with frayed wings indicates old bees or poor
health.

9.   Lots of fat drones in spring indicates a strong colony, possible swarm
time approaching.

10.   Lots of undernourished, undersized drones (along with greasy workers)
indicates a drone laying queen, or laying workers.

11. Scratches on the hives, dug up ground in front, and nasty tempered bees
would indicate a skunk has been pestering them at night.

12. Bees hanging out indicates a strong hive, a good flow that day, or
preparations for swarming.

13.  Bees washboarding (dancing in unison on the hive front) - possible swarm
preparations.

14.  Chalkbrood mummies on bottom board indicates presence of chalkbrood, and
genetically weak, non-hygenic bees that need a replacement queen.

15.  Urea odor  - foulbrood (I have often smelled it before even opening the
hive, though some of my fellow beekeepers don't believe this. I guess you have
to have a sensitive smeller).

16. Other odors  - can tell what nectar source is yielding. Goldenrod has a
distinctive, sickly sweet odor. Basswood and orange blossom have their own
unique odors.

17. Smashed up, scattered equipment, bees robbing, tooth and claw marks - Mr.
Bear has been by, and you can write off the colony.

18.  Smashed up, scattered equipment, bees robbing, tire marks and beer cans -
Mr. Testosterone has been by, and you can write off the colony.

   Well that's more than six, I guess. Experienced beekeepers (mostly
subconsciously) do gather a lot of data from visual and olfactory observations
of the hives, before opening them. I guess listening could help a lot, too,
but I'm a little hard of hearing (Huh?), so that doesn't help me as much.

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html
The Pollination Home Page:    http://www.pollinator.com

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm