From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2000 10:25:14 -0400
It was posted that cell size leads to early emergence- lost the post so
that is why the new subject. My apologies.

As I said in a previous post, I once thought cell size would lead to early
emergence and that is why the AHB is more tolerant of Varroa than EHB. But
I read that was not the case. It was grooming not early emergence.

Which makes sense. The over fishing of cod has lead to pressure on the cod
to survive. Scientist have found that they are sexually maturing at an
earlier age and much smaller than before.

So if cod, a fairly high up species on the ladder, can accommodate and
become sexual mature early, then Varroa should find it little trouble to do
the same. And if cell size does something to Varroa, again, it should be
able to accommodate to that fairly quickly.

So maybe in about five years we will be arguing over 1.7 vrs 2.1 cell size
and what to do about mosquitos harassing our bees.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME where the mosquitos are already big enough