Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 19:46:21 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< if one is foolish enough to leave an
 uncovered honey super in the back of one's truck.  If you move this hive,
the bees will hover around its spot for several days, having "memorized" its
location. Same goes for the super in the truck. If robbers find anything in
the back of
 my truck, they may form a greeting committee at that spot awaiting my return
-- and further handouts -- even when the truck is not there. >>

Last year I took some supers from an out apiary and loaded them in the back
of my blue car.  There were a few dozen bees in the supers so I drove around
in a circle, stopping every quarter mile or so to let them out and fly home.
I then drove back to my "home" apiary on my allotment and opened the back to
allow the last few stragglers to escape while I attended to something else. I
then drove home.

Later that evening my next door neighbour who has an allotment close to mine
mentioned as a curiosity that a number of "wasps" had entered his red car
when it was parked where mine had been after I had left.  Not having seen the
offending insects I could offer no reason for this odd behavior in wasps.

Chris