From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2008 17:47:50 EST

[log in to unmask] writes:

I  understand what you say about the need for quieter bees than we
tolerate  due to them being on your allotment. We are wary of anything
TOO nasty as  at heather time we are on estates with a very high footfall
of walkers so  serious followers are not accepted, nor are types who are
in attack mode  on days with good bee handling conditions.
--

Murray,

I, too, keep bees on an allotment as well as other places that are likely  to
be within reach of the public, including a teaching establishment
(permaculture)where twice last year I hived swarms with audience participation  of which
only anybody actually 'hands on' was protected.   Normally,  for me, bees are
well behaved and at that site where my own (the owner has a  WBC) hive is a
TBH, as often as not I don't bother with a smoker and sometimes  not a veil.
Colonies of bees are as individual as people.

It is years since I experienced really stingy bees (my record is 55 stings
in one go). Once a Bee Inspector asked me 'Do your bees always follow like
this?' but it was HIM, not me that they were following, not me, although we  had
both been equally working the hives.

I am coming around towards the view that 'bad temper' in bees is a
combination of genetics, hive design, handling, body odour and luck in varying
proportions.

Chris