From:
John Caldeira <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 14:49:23 GMT
[log in to unmask] (Andy Nachbaur) wrote:
><ARIZONA DAILY STAR> 11.28 Latest line of Bee Pest Control BS with the
>help of the Steve Buchmann of the USDA Carl Hayden Bee Research
>Center. "Even if you exterminated every honeybee and all the
>Africanized bees, we would not be out the window in terms of
>pollination because of these native bees.'' "Pollination unlikely to
>suffer from bee losses" never better said by any DUSTY and this one's
>on our payroll. I for one will remember that next time  they need a
>friend to help get more public funding.

We may not like what we read, but I appreciate that our USDA
scientists give their honest opinions and present objective research
results.  We risk tainting scientific research if future funding is
influenced by whether they get "politically correct" results.

It is appropriate to influence the kinds of research that use public
funding so that it addresses the right problems, but we should expect
nothing less than unbiased conclusions (even if it hurts sometimes).

In general, I think the USDA is doing a great job for beekeepers with
mite control and in other applied research areas.

-John

John Caldeira
Dallas, Texas            [log in to unmask]
http://home.earthlink.net/~jcaldeira/beekeeping/