From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jan 2016 08:58:42 -0600
We talk about mites as if they are a Hive creature only.  I think we miss a lot of things that obviously happen outside the hive.

When I lived in the Ozarks  a long time ago,  we had what we called "seed ticks"  they are actually immature deer ticks,  but no matter.  Same family as mites,  and  the same size,  if not a bit smaller.  They are EXTREMLY mobile.  If one watched the Fescue grass closely along trails  you would sometimes see blades  3-4 feet of the ground with a reddish color.  They were covered with thousands of seed ticks.  All waving the forelegs in the air looking for a ride.  Knock em of and they climb back up.

Point being watching mites and seed ticks  I see the same mobility.  Mites are quite capable of a lot of walking about.  Dennis  said once he didn't think they were very mobile.   Hes flat wrong.  They are very mobile and will live 6-7 days outside the hive at least.

That’s plenty of time to relocate.

Charles