From:
Jim Stein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 12:31:52 -0500
In answer to my question, Lloyd said:

>Jim asked about my upper entrances.

>These are nothing more than a 1" piece of wood ripped (cut lengthwise)
>from a cedar shingle.  Two of these are then nailed and glued to the long
>sides of an inner cover.  The inner cover side with these on it are put
>down under the outer cover (in the normal manner).

>Since using these I no longer have bees clustering outside the hives in
>summer and do not get bees building burr comb between the inner and outer
>cover.  I also do not have any hive deaths from winter/spring moisture.

Lloyd, with the 1 inch upper entrance (that would be covered by the top
cover) how do the bees keep warm. With temps below minus 20 F, and heat
rising, wouldn't the temperature inside the hive get cold enough to freeze
bees on the outside of the cluster and also limit their ability to move
stores around.

Jim