From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 08:30:33 -0400
Cindy, a new beekeeper in the coldest part of NYS asks about her new bee
hives.

I think we met at the beginner's seminar at Betterbee.  Sounds as if you
have come a long way since.  You asked "I was told that I will need to start
treating for mites etc..mid August, so no honey is stored during the 45
days, right?)"

Actually, lot's of honey will be stored during this period; from goldenrod,
aster, purple loosetrife and others.  However, all this honey must be left
for the bees if it is stored while the strips are on.  No, any fluvalinate
that gets into the honey will not harm the bees in any way.

What you are observing is normal; in the first year the bees will
concentrate on drawing out comb and there will probably not be any extra for
you.  All the honey you see in the brood nest is also normal and will help
sustain the hive during winter.

You need 80 pounds of honey for the winter in your area.  That translates
into about 120 pounds with all your wood.  Check around October 1 to see if
you have enough.  A simple way to check is to put a piece of 2 X 4 under one
side of the bottom board.  Lift the other side and slide a bathroom scale
underneath.  It will support 50% of the weight of the hive, so if it reads
60 pounds or better your bees are all set for the winter.  If not, feed a
sugar syrup consisting of 2 parts sugar to one water.  Use very hot water,
and stir with a drywall mixer inside a 5 gallon pail.  Add 1/4 cup of
vinegar to retard mold and fungus.  Let cool and feed.

Yes, next year will be much easier on the bees, when they have lots of drawn
comb.

The activity you are seeing at the entrance is called "washboarding".  No
one really knows why the bees do it, but it seems to have something to do
with ventilation.  It is entirely normal.

Best of luck,
Lloyd