From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2006 09:18:13 -0000
Randy wrote:
> EFB larvae are normally twisted up onto the sides of the cell, and have
> the
> tracheal tubes discolored yellow, but I certainly wouldn't describe them
> as
> "melted."

I really do think that it is the word melted that is the problem - we have
different perceptions of what it means.  What you call melted in AFB, I
would describe as decomposed.  Larvae with EFB, whilst remaining intact,
lose the definition of the segments - something that I, and our NBU, would
describe as having a melted appearance; however, I think the main indicator
for EFB in the field is the characteristic white gut.  I also believe that
roping is possible with EFB, depending on the mix of secondary invaders,
although it is very unusual.

I found it odd that anyone would want to develop a lateral flow device for
AFB, as I cannot see the difficulty in identifying AFB in the field - and a
demonstration of the device that I saw performed by an NBU inspector gave a
false negative even though the AFB had been positively identified in the
lab.

It would be interesting to know the distribution of the different strains of
AFB, particularly whether the more virulent occur only in certain areas.

Best wishes

Peter Edwards
www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/