From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:47:26 -0500
It is not well known outside of Farmers Market literature, but today there
are corporate organizations with thousands of acres that are organically
certified.  California clearly leads the way in these regards, but others
are quickly following suit.  *Most* certified organic producers spray to
control insects and fungus, although the poisons and fungicides are far less
effective than those used by conventional farmers.

Here in upstate NY most certified organic producers run fewer than 50 acres
in crops and a great many run fewer than 20 acres.  Many formerly-certified
organic producers have dropped their certification, primarily because of the
high fees, and many have found that their customers 'trust' them as being
'no or low spray' and, regardless, prefer to buy from producers rather than
the grocery stores.  It is possible to modestly support a family on 20 acres
of vegetables sold at Farmers Markets and through CSA's.

Some, but fewer and fewer, are staying with the historic definitions of
Organic as 'no spray'
and are refusing to adopt the spray techniques and formulas developed in
states such as California.

This can play well in NYS, with relatively high paid and urban customers,
but I have to wonder how it plays in states with a greater association with
rural life.

In addition to producing honey, we produce commercial quantities of
raspberries.  We never spray and charge unbelievably high (but
competitive) prices.  I am annually amazed at how important it is to our
customers that we don't use any spray.

Lloyd