Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2006 16:46:37 GMT
>>Why are all the queen problems happening since we started putting
chemicals in bee hives...

Chemicals of all sorts have an effect...  I removed this summer one
feral colony from a location that had had bees before and had been
sprayed with a hornet spray years earlier.  This colony was from a
spring swarm.  The colony numbers were not bad, there was no worker
brood at all and only some last emerging drone brood.  I figured they
had lost their queen...

I shook all the vac'ed bees into a bee hive and checked them frame by
frame 2 days later.  I was a little surprised to find a virgin queen
on aframe.  She *looked* mature but the abdomen was small.  I kept
her for another week and a half before dispatching her.  I believe
some chemicals cause queens to either not take mating flights or
cause them to be sterile.  It's another case for not using
chemicals...

Waldemar
Long Island, NY